My 29th birthday is coming up, and I've been dreading it for...29 years. I think my grandmother ruined it for me partly because she was 29 for as long as I knew her, and I don't understand why most people who are older always say they're 29. Plus, I just don't think it's a very pretty number.
That said, I'm looking forward to my 30s in a big way. For me, my 20's have been difficult. School, jobs, establishing ourselves, I've had 3 CHILDREN IN UNDER 3 YEARS by the time this little guy arrives, and it has been HARD. My mom always told me her 30s were great years. She was raising her family, rather than having babies, she was super healthy, and I guess I just look forward to that. I think for some people who close the door on this decade of their lives with dread that they're hitting their 30s, for me, I look forward to this decade being closed.
I've done some great stuff--don't get me wrong. It hasn't all been hard. I served a mission for my church, travelled a little bit, got married, had kids, finished a college degree, I'm a stay at home mom, bought a house, lived in 4 different states, so I can say that I've lived a little.
Here's why I look forward to my 30s: raising my children, embracing a healthy lifestyle where I'm not interupted with 9 months of no will power b/c I'm pregnant and use that as an excuse to eat whatever I want, I look forward to Kevin excelling in his career, hopefully getting the photography stuff really up an running, I look forward to my children starting school (not because I want them out of the house but because I love the idea of being involved), pursuing more hobbies and interests, HAVING money to do those things and travel.
Anyway, I'm finding more gray hair, my metabolism is definitely slowing down (who am I kidding--it's been slower for years--I NEVER over eat (haha), nursing and pregnancy has ruined my body (but I'll have 3 miracles so it's hands down an easy trade off), and I have no sense of style. So, 29 will be the last year of a decade that has had many ups and downs, and then it's onto HELLO 30s!!
The only thing that worries me about aging are the health issues that can potentially come along with it. I'm not scared of getting wrinkles, or going completely gray, it's the pain that I've seen some older people struggle with, and the loss of the sharpness of their minds. For me, the wrinkles tell stories, the gray hair is earned, and obviously a lifetime of wisdom is gained.
My prayer for this coming year, is that I close this decade with a bang, strive to be happy, and find happiness in day to day life (not always easy for me), do my best to treat everyone the way I want to be treated, and find opportunities to serve other people. And cut back on the ice cream.
I also don't want to be that 1% out of 100,000 or whatever that statistic is and die in childbirth in October. Just sayin'...
Peace and love to whoever read this post! You deserve it.
1 comment:
I understand the birthday dread all too well - but for different reasons, I guess. Anyway, love your attitude. We can't slow the clock, but we can find ways to make the most of our days! I set 30 goals to accomplish by my 30th birthday, and although I didn't quite get them all done - didn't anticipate some of the health issues and heartbreak that would sideline me this year - I can say that I hit 30 a million times closer to being the woman I want to be. It's been a phenomenal year of growth that offers a wonderful springboard into the decade ahead. Hope 29 does the same for you!!!
Post a Comment