Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Is Something Missing?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that there are times we all feel like something is missing from our lives.  Lately, I have felt that I have poured so much of myself into my children, work, and husband that I took a good look at myself and realized how much I've been on the back burner.

If you read this post, I hope you'll feel like you can interact with me regarding this conversation because I'm going to put myself out there a bit.

One of my issues with social media is that I get to see the best in everyone's lives and sometimes in comparison to mine, mine feels incredibly lacking.  I have been very tempted at times to cut off all social media because I don't like how I feel at times when  I see so many people being successful at so many things.

One thing about me, is that I got the short end of the talent stick.  I'm not saying that from a place of low self-confidence because I'm actually a fairly confident person.  I'm a very self-aware person, and I feel that I'm just incredibly honest with myself, and obviously with others about myself.  I feel like there isn't much in my life I'm GREAT in.  I think that's what I find missing in my life.  I'm good at certain things.  But, I'm not GREAT, and I want to find one thing and become GREAT at it.  Does this make sense?  I want to be GREAT at something for ME and not for someone else.  What do you do to find something you're GREAT at?

I LOVE photography.  I've always loved LOOKING at photography, and when I picked up a camera I realized composing photos came very easily for me.   It never once occurred to me that I could CREATE beauty and not just enjoy it from what other people did.  I stink at editing though.  Photoshop is a beast.

I'd LOVE to write a book, and DO something with that English degree of mine.  But, I get so intimidated because how in the world do I find a topic that I can write 200+ pages about.

I love to run, but I'm pokey at best.

I avoid posting pictures of myself because I hate that I haven't lost the weight after my third baby, but I'm working very hard on that.

My wardrobe stinks.  I've lost any sense of style (not that I had much) but I wish I was good at putting outfits together.  But, my kids look dang cute, and that counts for something in my book.

Maybe the reason I feel this way is because I'm putting limitations on myself--or I just don't work hard enough, or get discouraged too easily...?  Maybe it's all of the above.

What do you do if you feel this way??

Again, I'm assuming I'm not alone in this.  I don't feel this away all the time, but I'm in a rut.  What do you do that makes you so happy that you feel completely at peace with your imperfect life (let's get real--no matter how beautiful your home, children, clothes, body is--NO ONE'S life is perfect despite all the perfect images and blog posts we may post).

I really want to know--what do you feel is missing or was missing at one time or another and what did you do?

2 comments:

Kendall said...

Social media can be a beast and smoother any self esteem I have. Or it can boost me up, mainly the church's posts give me a boost. I am challenging myself to step away from social media for a week. Mark is changing my password and not telling me what it is. women are the absolute hardest on themselves. My grandma's passing has been so hard on me and something that has helped me is writing a list of things I admire and have learned from her. And I realized I have some of those qualities and I am dang proud of those qualities my grandma passed to me. SO you should find someone you admire and make a list of their qualities, I promise you will see them in yourself and see how great you are!

Suzanne said...

Weird...it have just been philosophizing on the same thing. I feel the exact same way. But I haven't figured out how to be better. Let me know if someone has the secret.