Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Things I've learned in the 10 YEARS since high school....

I've been thinking a lot about what has happened in the last decade of my life, and thought I'd share what I've learned...I hope this catches on especially for those of you who keep blogs, because I probably blog stalk you and I want to know about your life.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED REGARDING HUMANITY:
**As Ginny Gregory put it so eloquently on FB, just because you're human, doesn't make you humane.
**People take offense when the truth hits close to home regarding any kind of behavior that needs to be changed.
**It's convenient to leave a church, belief system, choose not to believe in God or whomever when certain theologies/teachings don't agree with your choices or lifestyle.  Guilt sucks.
**Being open-minded doesn't mean you have to accept the things you disagree with or don't believe in.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT THE HIGH SCHOOL PEEPS:
**Most that I keep in touch with have some serious achievements under their belts. 
**Most are parents.
**Most have at least a 4 year degree if not a graduate degree.
**There are a lot of you that I don't know why I wasn't friends with you in high school because you seem like awesome people, and people I'd want to spend time with now.
**Some of you that I wasn't friends with in high school, I still wouldn't want to be friends with you.  (Just sayin'...)

IF I COULD GO BACK TO H.S. AND CHANGE THINGS I WOULD REGARDING:
**I wouldn't care as much what people thought about me.
**I'd have more fun.
**Not take everything so seriously.
**Own my height.  (hahaha)
**Realize being a size 8 was NOT FAT. 
**Realize that popularity was a state of mind.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT MYSELF:
**I can be snarky, shallow at times, and get caught up in "keeping up with the Jones' mentality."
**I have talents and interests that at 18 I had no idea about.
**I love fiercely.
**As a Mormon woman (LDS) my religion has more in common with the gay community than people would think: we can both be completely misunderstood.
**I can be overly sensitive, and I need to forgive more, and I need to be more of everything good.
**I'm compassionate.

WHAT I'VE ACHIEVED:
**4 year degree from the University of Utah in English Lit.
**18 month mission for the LDS church in southern California.  (I picked up TONS of Spanish and some Tagalog on the way).
**Motherhood.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MY PARENTS:
**They weren't perfect, but they loved me.
**They know more than I ever thought they did.
**They taught/teach me how to be the kind of person I strive to be.

SOME MISCELLANEOUS MUSINGS OVER THE LAST DECADE:
**Size 12 IS NOT FAT.
**The last time I was home in Virginia I was pregnant with Corine and I was having body issues, and my mother came up and hugged me and said: "There's nothing wrong with being tall and husky."  I was pregnant, people!  Thanks mom!  (I laugh about it now!) But, I'll never use the word with my kids.  :)
**Sometimes, I look at people who I felt snubbed me growing up, and take pride in the fact that I'm probably happier than them.  (See what I mean??? Snarky.)
**I've learned that without my faith I am no where near as good as the potential that I have to be. 
**I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, the Bible, and so much more. If you don't want to misunderstand the LDS church, check it out: http://mormon.org/

WHAT I HOPE TO ACHIEVE IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS:
**I want my children to know that they are loved, and that they should love themselves.
**I want a successful photography business.
**Dream home (I do love my little house, I just want the dream home). :)
**Size 10 or 8...who knows what's possible after babies.
**I want to be the kind of person that someone can call and know they have a listening ear for whatever they need.  (I can do that now, but I want other's to know that).
**I'm a good person now, I just want to be even better, and time can do that to people if we face challenges with humility and grace. 
**Even more happiness.

It will be interesting to read what I write in another 10 years about where/what life has taken and dealt to me.  All in all, I've learned it's about love.  If we can love each other unconditionally, this world will be so much better for our own children. 


1 comment:

Sam & Sam Pontious said...

amen sista! Loved reading all of it. I agree with you about school. It's hard to believe your the same age as me! I always picture and feel like i'm like 20yrs. younger. I feel immature compared to you! :) xoxo!