In light of the recent school shooting in Connecticut, my heart has broken for those families and community. The whole country is mourning with those affected by this violence. It must be difficult for a lot of people right now to focus on the glad tidings of this season.
That said, it's also times like these that make me think more of what this time of year is all about; it's to celebrate the birth of the Savior. My children have a board book called "Who Is Coming to Our House?" and it's told from the perspective of the animals in the manger. It's a very sweet story, because even of the lowliest of God's creatures prepared for Jesus' coming.
I hope against hope that those who are despairing, lonely, or down-trodden will be reminded that this can be a joyful time of year if we turn our thoughts toward the Savior and His life.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow put it perfectly in his poem, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"
And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
- "For hate is strong,
- And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
- The Wrong shall fail,
- The Right prevail,
With peace on the earth, good-will to men."
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment